Monday, February 12, 2007

Most Awesome hat ever.



I made a cabled hat. it took me 2 days, a damn long time by my standards. My wonderful model, Teddy, is here showing it off. He them stole it. I just got it back but I think he's plotting to steal it again when I'm sleeping

Anyway, It was only my second cabling project. This one was harder since the cables are tighter than the wristers. Both were 6 stitch wide but the wristers cabled every 8 rows where as this one was every 4. It gives it that roped look which is kinda cool but I don't think I'll use the pattern again. There no give in the cables which makes for a slippy hat, esp. on my baby fine hair.

I wore it today to cover my greasy hair while I got another blood test (OW! She ruptured my vein. But more on that in the other blog since this really has nothing to do with knitting) and it kept sliding up making my head look pointed. It was knit from a chemo cap pattern though and those are supposed to be quite fitting but I have a slightly smaller than average head (It's because of my fine hair, I do not have a small brain :p lol) so I figured it would fit. Oh well. I'm still going to wear it. It's got too many misakes to give away and it is pretty warm.

For all those who are interested I used Bernat Satin in Ebony. It was less than one ball. Theres enough left over for a pom pom but I did a good job on the decreasing for the first time in my life and I didn't want to cover it up with a pom pom. BTW, the Satin is great stuff for a hat if you're allergic to wool too. It's got a wool like stretch to it, and a lovely shine. I made it on a pair of size 7 16" circs (which broke.) and switched to DPNs for the last 5 or row rows. I probably should have switched sooner though. I modified this pattern: http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt11.htm. I added some extra ribbing at the bottom and instead of decreaing in stright stockinette, I kept knitting in pattern and made some changes so that the cables went higher up the hat so it looks kind of like a flower at the top. Don't ask me how cause I can't remember lol. I couldn't get a decent picture of the top but I'll try again when I can find a human head willing to model it.

No comments: